Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hymns

I love that using Ambleside reminds me to teach my children a (sometimes) new hymn each month or perhaps a revisit to one they are familiar with already from church (we have a hymn of the month there as well).

I am always blessed by revisiting these songs that we sang in church growing up. Why so many churches have gone to "choruses" is beyond me. There is so much to be learned doctrinally within these songs that so many generations before us sang.

Doesn't that give you such a wonderful feeling of connections to the Christians that paved the paths here in America (and elsewhere) before us? Makes me ashamed to see that their hard work is being ignored these days, know what I mean?  Maybe, just maybe, perhaps if churches had not strayed away from songs of such a firm message that the hymns offer, well...you can shoulda/coulda/woulda stuff to death - and we all know what is coming eventually.  Anyway, back on task - this months was "Revive Us Again":

We praise Thee, O God!
For the Son of Thy love,
For Jesus Who died,
And is now gone above.

Refrain

Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
Hallelujah! Amen.
Hallelujah! Thine the glory.
Revive us again.

We praise Thee, O God!
For Thy Spirit of light,
Who hath shown us our Savior,
And scattered our night.

Refrain

All glory and praise
To the Lamb that was slain,
Who hath borne all our sins,
And hath cleansed every stain.

Refrain

All glory and praise
To the God of all grace,
Who hast brought us, and sought us,
And guided our ways.

Refrain

Revive us again;
Fill each heart with Thy love;
May each soul be rekindled
With fire from above.

Refrain

February's is "I Know Whom I Have Believed In".


I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.

Refrain

But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.

Refrain

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing us of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.

Refrain

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.

Refrain

I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noonday fair,
Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
Or meet Him in the air.

Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment